New Voter Registration
HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE?
You may register to vote if you are:
- A resident of New Mexico
- A citizen of the United States
- Eighteen years old or older at the time of the next election
- A convicted felon who has satisfied all the terms and conditions of sentencing. A certificate of completion may be required.
WHERE TO REGISTER
- Online through the Secretary of State’s website.
- During normal times, voter registration may be done in person at the Bernalillo County Clerk’s Office (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Effective August 16, 2021 our new location is at Alvarado Square at 415 Silver SW, Albuquerque NM, 87102.).
- Secretary of State’s Office
- Any County Clerk’s Office in New Mexico
- Through a Third Party Registrant Agent
- Motor Vehicle Department, Human Services Department, public libraries, colleges, universities, and at organized voter registration drives
You may request an application for voter registration be sent to you by emailing email@example.com, calling (505) 468-1291 and selecting the Voter Registration option, or sending a letter to: Bernalillo County Clerk’s Office, 415 Silver Ave. SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102.
HOW TO REGISTER
- You must completely fill out an application for voter registration and sign it.
- Be sure to: Answer all questions, including the citizenship question.
- A Social Security Number and the address where you live are required in order to register to vote in New Mexico. (P.O. Box addresses are not allowed).
FIRST TIME REGISTRANTS
If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, and you submit the registration form by mail, you must also submit a copy of
- a current and valid photo identification; or
- a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address.
*If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
REASONS WHY AN APPLICATION IS REJECTED
- Social Security Number is not provided.
- The application is not signed.
- The citizenship box is not checked.
- A physical address or description of residence, such as a map or the latitude/longitude is not provided.
Rejected applications are returned to the applicant with a letter of rejection explanation and a blank application for voter registration.
WHEN TO REGISTER
Voter registration applications can be submitted at any time. In order to be eligible to vote in an election, the County Clerk’s Office must receive the voter registration application no later than 5 p.m. on the 28th day before the election.
SAME DAY VOTER REGISTRATION (SDR)
It is now possible to register to vote during early voting periods and on election day in New Mexico. SDR schedule for the 2022 General Election