Become a Presiding Judge
Help Your Community Vote – Presiding Judge
Fair and honest elections are the cornerstone of our democracy. Our system of self-government depends upon citizens’ faith in the election system. We cannot do it without your help, and serving as an election board member is rewarding and fun.
Click here to Join the Team Today.
Earn a little extra cash!
Presiding Judges are paid $70.00 for training and $200.00 for working Election Day.
- Learn more about the electoral process.
- Fulfill an important civic duty.
- Meet and work with interesting people in your community.
- Break out of the everyday routine.
- Supervise Poll Officials assigned to location, delegate tasks and ensure each person is performing the duties assigned per the County Clerk.
- Conduct opening and closing procedures ensuring ballot accounting/reconciliation process is smooth and accurate.
- Early Voting: Presiding Judges work 14 days before Election Day, Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.- 7 p.m. Individuals assigned to Early Voting must work on Election Day.
- Election Day: Presiding Judges report to duty at 6 a.m. and work until all duties are performed.
- On the job training opportunities are available.
Presiding Judges must attend training prior to working the election. Training helps ensure a thorough understanding of the election process, maintaining the integrity of the election, and respective roles as presiding judges.
Who can apply?
- Must be a registered voter in Bernalillo County.
- Cannot be a candidate or related to any candidate.
- Cannot be employed by law enforcement.
- Must be mentally and physically able to perform the assigned duties.